We do our best to limit the amount of food waste, but we never know how our week will turn out. Food planning is hard. It is, therefore, that we have mastered a few stale bread recipes. This bread pudding with apple and raisins is one of our favourites. So, next time your bread becomes stale, try out this recipe instead of throwing it out!
The recipe below is not too sweet and serves well as breakfast for 4. Add a bit more sugar, and you’ll turn it into dessert for sure! Let us know what you think in the comments! 👇🏼👇🏼
- 10 slices stale whole wheat bread
- 1 large apple – chopped
- 100 g (½ cup) raisins
- 750 ml (3 cups) plant-based milk – we use regular soy
- 60 g (¼ cup) sugar
- 4 tbsp flaxseed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Some almond shavings to top it off
- Start by creating vegan buttermilk: add the apple vinegar to the soy milk, whisk well and let it rest for a couple of minutes (5 to 10 minutes will be enough to thicken it).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Cut the stale bread into cubes and set it aside. If the bread is relatively fresh, toast the cubes for a few minutes in the oven while it is heating up.
- Add the sugar, flaxseed, vanilla extract and cinnamon to the buttermilk and whisk until blended.
- Add the chopped apple, raisins and bread cubes, give it a final whisk until everything is covered.
- Pour the mixture into a baking dish (ours is 35 x 24 cm) and top it off with some almond shavings.
- Place it in the oven, and bake it for approximately 40 minutes until golden brown.
- Scoop and enjoy!