It’s almost time to say hello to winter and wave goodbye to fall, but don’t worry, this doesn’t mean we can’t eat pumpkin y’all! <– That rhymes. Time to impress your family with this sourdough pumpkin-shaped pumpkin bread!
Since this is sourdough bread, it will not be a quick recipe, but it is sure fun to make! Let us know what you think in the comments! 👇🏼
If you do not have a sourdough starter yet, check our no-waste sourdough starter post!
- 100g active sourdough leaven (40/40 rye/water + starter)
- 400g bread flour
- 150g whole wheat flour
- 220g thick pumpkin puree
- 320g water * add a bit more if you’re using canned puree
- 11g salt
- all-purpose flour to sprinkle
- Dutch oven + lid
- Jute rope
- Baking paper
- Proofing basket (or towel-lined bowl)
- The night before (at least 8h), you make your leaven by combining 20g sourdough starter with 40g rye flour + 40g of water. Mix it well, and cover it with a wrap. Let it sit out overnight.
- The following day, scoop the leaven into a bowl, add 300g water and the flour, and stir until all dry bits are gone. Add the pumpkin puree and knead for ~2min until well combined. Cover it with a wet towel and set it aside for 1 hour.
- Dissolve the salt in 20g of warm water and add it to the dough. Knead well and set aside (covered).
- The next 4.5 hours, “stretch and fold” the dough every 45min – reach underneath with your hand, grab a side, stretch it up and fold it on top. Rotate 90deg and repeat (~4 rotations).
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured counter and shape it into a “boule” – stretch the dough carefully, fold the sides inward and the top to cover it all, slightly push sides inward to shape it. Place it seam side up in a floured proofing basket.
- Let it rise overnight in the refrigerator.
- Next morning, place the Dutch oven into the oven and heat it to 230°C.
- Lay down jute crisscross on baking paper and gently drop the dough on top (centred). Tie the rope loosely and scorn. Transfer the dough to the dutch oven, close the lid and cook it for 25min.
- Remove the lid and bake it for another 35min until the crust is deeply brown.
- Let it cool on a rack for at least an hour and remove the rope, dust it and enjoy!