French toast with rose and orange! 🇫🇷🍞
Who doesn’t love a good brunch? This one is a favourite, so you definitely have to try it – it is 100% plant-based and 10% healthy 😂. We love the combo of rose with orange, especially with a dash of cinnamon and cardamom! They are just what you need to overcome those soggy end of summer days.
PS: it’s a great way to get rid of your stale bread as well!
The recipe below is enough to make about 6-8 French toasts (if you skip breakfast, it’s enough for two 😉). Let us know what you think in the comments! 👇🏼👇🏼
Ingredients for the toasts:
- 6 to 8 slices of (whole wheat) bread
- 500ml (about 2 cups) non-dairy milk (we usually use soy and/or coconut)
- 3 tbsp of millet flour (spelt, built or whole wheat)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or vanilla sugar
- 2 to 3 tbsp of rose water
- 2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp of ground cardamom
- Margarine or coconut oil for baking
So where’s the orange at? Well, we like to turn the remaining batter into a sweet orangy roux! Ingredients:
- Remaining batter
- 1 orange (juiced and grated)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or sugar
- 1 or 2 tbsp of rose water
- Start by creating the batter – throw in all ingredients (except for the slices of bread and oil) in a wide mixing bowl and whisk until blended.
- Soak a slice of bread on both sides and toss it into a heated frying pan. Give it a minute or two on both sides until nicely golden brown.
- Pour the remaining batter into a small cooking pot after all slices of bread are turned into toast. Heat it up slowly and stir well until it turns into a thick roux.
- Add the orange juice, grated peel, sugar/maple and some rose water and stir well and heat the roux for another minute.
- Pour the sweet roux into a container and stack the toasts.
- Decorate and enjoy!