You can commit injustice by doing nothing – Marcus Aurelius.
Positive change will happen a lot faster if people dare to speak up. We need to be silence breakers in order to make a positive change. Because if we do not break the silence, we allow others to ignore the injustices in this world. We do not need to tie ourselves to a tree to be an activist – do something that suits your personality and circumstances. Not sure what to do or where to start? Here is a list of things you can do to engage in activism today:
- Educate yourself: knowing your facts will make you more confident and will help you to get the right message across.
- Have educational conversations: engage in conversations with the people around you and/or on the street – normalisation is important.
- Pick up the digital pen: pick up the pen to sign petitions, write letters to corporations or your government in which you advocate for legislation, and inspire others to start moving with your own stories.
- Hit the (digital) streets: join a local rally, protest or march to demand political, corporate or social change. You can either join a movement or go solo to stack the numbers.
- Create public awareness: spread content on social media and participate in awareness campaigns. You can share your own or others’ content. Sometimes the best thing you can do is to use your privilege to offer a platform to someone who needs it.
- Change your workplace: fight for change within your company or university by starting or participating in a sustainability or inclusion and diversity team.
- Vote with your money: with every purchase we make, we cast a vote for the type of world we want to live in.
- Financially support causes: donate money to causes you find important.
- Move your money: research how your bank and insurer invest your money and move your money if this does not align with your values.
- Other tips? Let us know down in the comments! 👇🏻👇🏻
With this, we would also like to remind you that #COP26 is starting tomorrow! If you are new to environmental activism, this is a great opportunity to get involved. There are many events, marches and rallies planned for the upcoming two weeks where you can mix in with the crowd to demand systemic change. If you can, hit the streets on the 6th of November on the #GlobalDayOfAction, or follow and support those that are involved!
For anyone in the Netherlands: @Klimaatmars21, Nov 6, 1PM, Dam, Amsterdam – hit us up and let’s go together!