Autumn parsnip garlic soup! 🥕🧄
Autumn is here and it has given us rainy days and many new seasonal fruits and vegetables to choose from! The upcoming months it is mainly root vegetables, tubers and bitter-leafed vegetables that are in season. This means mashing season is starting for Dutch people 👋 – not something we are going to do today, but we will use the ingredients to make a very nice autumn soup!
Today’s menu has a thick and creamy soup made with roasted parsnip, garlic, red onion, fennel, potato and rosemary, topped with grilled mushrooms, apple and walnuts – all in season! It tastes amazing but looks a bit like a rainy day, haha!
- 800g parsnip
- 3 whole garlic bulbs
- 200g potato
- 350g mixed mushrooms
- 3 red onions
- 1 fennel
- 1 apple
- 100g walnuts (roughly chopped)
- 5 rosemary sprigs (finely chopped)
- half bunch of parsley (finely chopped)
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1.5L vegetable stock
- 250ml oatly cuisine
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 230C. Brush the parsnips and potatoes and cut into medium pieces. Toss them on a baking tray and add half of the chopped rosemary, some S&P and olive oil, and give them a mix.
- Peel away the outer layers of the garlic bulbs, cut off the heads (save them for later) and add them to the baking tray. Place the tray in the oven for about 30-40 minutes until everything is roasted.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the red onions and fennel, and sauté them together with the garlic heads in a large pan. When slightly browned, add the maple syrup and give it two more minutes. Add the stock and lower the heat until the roasted parsnips are done.
- Cut the mushrooms and apple into small pieces and cook them in a frying pan until browned. Add the remaining rosemary, the parsley and the walnuts, give it another few minutes and set aside.
- The parsnips and potatoes should be roasted by now. Squeeze out the garlic into the stock and add the parsnips and potatoes to the pan – cook 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Take the pan from the stove, add the cooking cream. Blend it into a thick and creamy soup.
- Serve in a bowl, top it off with the mushroom mixture, and enjoy!